Friday, April 18, 2014

Trying my hand at sashiko

I have a strong interest in Japanese textiles and crafts. I love the simplicity, beauty and quality of Japanese craft. One of these crafts is a form of Japanese embroidery called sashiko. The word means 'little stabs' and this is exactly how you make the stitches - little stabs of running stitch.
This sampler is from a kit in which the fabric is stamped with the design and all you have to do is follow the directions. Even the size of the stitch is given!
Traditionally sashiko is stitched with a white thread on indigo fabric. Although now threads come in a wide range of colours.
There is a nifty way of keeping the thread tidy once you have opened the packet. You cut the thread in half and then plait it. You pull a thread out as you need it and the length is a comfortable one with which to work.
I have two more kits that I will use to practise my technique.
Sashiko needles have a large eye for the thick thread. These kits, threads and needles are readily available online. If you are in Melbourne, Kimono House has a great range of sashiko supplies.
My goal is to graduate from the kits and use the designs and patterns that are in the books 'Sashiko Style' and 'The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook'.
 I have everything I need, I just need to practise.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Personally I prefer the red thread. I have a bunch of sashiko supplies and books here but still haven't had a go. You've inspired me to pull them out and have a try soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment.