Monday, December 24, 2012

Schoolhouse Tunic - a knit version

I thought I would try the Schoolhouse Tunic with a knit fabric that I bought on sale at Clegs, Melbourne the other week. I tried a couple of new sewing techniques: 'wrapped corners' and lengthwise grain in the facings. Wrapped corners are a Nancy Zieman technique in which you don't pivot at the corner but sew the seam to the end, then fold that seam up and sew over it when you sew the perpendicular seam. It makes a very sharp corner. The other technique I picked up from watching Sandra Betzina's online Craftsy class on Pants Construction Techniques. She fuses the lengthwise grain of interfacing against the cross wise grain of the facing so that the facing is very stable and doesn't stretch. So I tweaked this by cutting the facings from a  stable cotton knit that I cut on the lengthwise grain without using any fusible interfacing. I think it worked well.
The only real change I made to the construction of the Schoolhouse Tunic was that I added buttons and button loops at the centre front of the bodice to keep it closed.  I don't really like the way the bodice gapes as in the pattern design.


I plan to wear it tomorrow for Christmas. Happy Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen you blob before - how did I miss it? I really like this - it's a lovely pattern and a great dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment.