Saturday, July 7, 2012

Schoolhouse Tunic

When I came across an off cut piece of black wool flannel at Clear It in Fitzroy a couple of weeks ago, I knew I had found what I needed for the bodice of a winter version of the Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic. I had bought some t-shirt weight knit also from Clear It last year and it had languished in the cupboard waiting for its chance to see the light of day and I used it for the skirt. The pattern suggests that the fabric have a nice drape, and the knit for the skirt drapes beautifully. In looking at reviews of the pattern, many had said that it was a generous size so I used one smaller size than the pattern measurements advised. The only adjustments I made were lengthening the sleeve to the wrist and using a bias cut of kimono silk for the binding on the back neck. I thought that as only I would see the neck binding, I would choose something special. I plan to wear it over black slim legged pants and add a brooch and scarf. The scarf in the photo was one I had in my scarf drawer but I plan to buy one that is a darker shade of purple.
front view

 back view
Neck binding although the photo doesn't show the details of the kimono fabric at all!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.