Sunday, August 28, 2011

Vogue 8693



I had a piece of double knit wool for a quite a few years waiting for the right pattern and knew I had found it when I came across Vogue 8693.  What appealed to me was the shaped hemline and the use of a brooch or button as a closure. Even though the pattern called for lining, interfacing and shoulder pads, I decided that I would make my jacket a lot less structured and not use any of them.
The front view
My jacket is shorter than the pattern as I only had 1.5 metres to play with and had to manipulate the placement of the shortened pattern pieces so they would all fit. The side panel pieces were cut across the grain but as the fabric is a double knit it didn't seem to matter. I decided to sew the side panels with the wrong side showing to compliment the collar as it would be showing on the wrong side. I finished all the edges with the overlocker using a woolly nylon thread in the upper looper to give it a ready-made finish. I use a brooch as the closure and do a double fold of the collar at the back neck line to enhance the soft drape of the shawl collar.  I love wearing this jacket as it's very comfortable and can be worn with a skirt or pants.

Side panel


Flat view highlighting the side panels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.