Sunday, June 14, 2015

new winter skirt

This isn't a very exciting sewing project as it is my tried and true straight skirt pattern, New Look 6843 that I have used many times. I make version B and rather than have a waistband, I stablise the waist seam with cotton tape and fully line the skirt, and add 7 cms to the length so that it's knee length and don't bother with the split.
One of the reasons I sew is to have have high quality, well fitting clothes for a fraction of the price of ready to wear. And this skirt fits the bill perfectly. It's made from a remant of wool suiting that I bought from Rathdowne Fabrics  for the princely sum of $4.50.
I knew that it would be tight getting a skirt out this length of fabric, and sure enough when I went to lay out the pattern, it was too short. But who said you have to use the straight grain of fabric? When I laid the pattern out using the cross grain as the straight grain, there was just enough! And to keep the cheapskate theme going, the lining is from a friend's stash and the invisible zip came from my stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment.