Thursday, October 20, 2011

Coverstitch

Both the latest issues of 'Threads' and 'Dressmaking with Stitches' feature articles on coverstitching. Both magazines show how coverstitch is used for hemming knit fabric. 'Threads' has some additional information about using coverstitch for emblishing, adding raw-edge strips to a skirt and making a ruched scarf. My serger doesn't have the coverstitch capability and although coverstitching sews hems that look like those of ready made garments, I'll continue to make do with my usual hemming method for knits: overlock the edge and sew one or two rows of stitching on the outside.

 coverstitched hem


1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to justify the urge to buy a new overlocker with coverstitch! I just can't come up with a good enough reason...yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment.